Saturday, March 16, 2024

Cuban Sandwich for the Lunchbox

Make a mouthwatering Cuban sandwich at home by filling Ciabatta rolls or rye bread with ham, sliced pork loin, ham, mustard, cheese and pickles.

One of my honey's favorite lunchbox sandwiches is a Cuban made with leftovers… usually from a pork roast dinner I served earlier in the week, or leftovers I had stored in the freezer. I pair it with deli ham sliced fresh from the butcher counter.
I make it with rye bread because I don't always have a Ciabatta roll handy in the pantry. Ciabatta is the traditional way to make a Cuban sandwich. But my honey says it tastes good on rye so it's a good substitute.

Cuban Sandwich for the Lunchbox

Cuban on Ciabatta
Ingredients
2 slices rye bread
Few slices of pork loin, cooked
Few slices of ham, cooked
Few slices of Provolone cheese
Mayonnaise
Mustard
Dill pickle slices, long cut

I
butter the bread with a thin layer of mayonnaise to cover to the sides. Put a thicker spread of mustard on one side (right over the mayo). Next, I layer the pork and ham slices over the top of one slice of the bread, place the cheese on top, then the pickles, cover with the other slice of bread. The amount of meat you place is up to you. A little would do for me because I am not a big meat eater, but my honey loves it stacked high, so that's what he gets.


Tip: Typically, you would brush the top outside of the bread with a bit of olive oil and place oil side down in a skillet or Panini press until bread is slightly toasted and crispy. Then serve the sandwich hot. But for my honey's lunchbox, this isn't a good idea because the crispy is lost along with the warmth by lunchtime. When I omit this step, the sandwich is still good to go.

I sometimes put  the pickles in a separate container or baggie inside his lunchbox. He can then add them himself.

Note: Cooking is just so much more fun... and easier... when you cook and store leftover food in your freezer.

That's it for today, blog.