Wednesday, February 21, 2024

How to Make Mexican Wedding Cookies

It's light and yummy cookies that literally melt in your mouth. That's not all. They are incredibly easy to make and bake.

Mexican Wedding Cookies are usually served from Christmas through the winter months to March, but they're good anytime of year. They are buttery cookies that kinda disintegrate on your tongue.

I grew up thinking my dad invented them just for me. He popped one in his mouth, and then he handed me one with a big bowl of whipped cream.

I'm not sure why the whipped cream. I was a real skinny kid with anemia. Maybe he was trying to fatten me up. Maybe he just wanted to see me smile.

I think I only made them for my children once when they were little. I just forgot until I came across the picture from our friends at C&H Sugar.

How to Make Mexican Wedding Cookies
Serving size: 2
Makes 5 dozen

On your kitchen counter, line up your little glass prep bowls, spoons and measure out the flour, sugar and vanilla.

Ingredients:
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
2 to 2 1/2 cups C&H® Powdered Sugar, divided
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 cups nuts (any kind), finely chopped

You need a hot oven, so preheat your oven to 350°F. With your electric mixer, beat butter with 1/2 cup sugar until smooth and fluffy. Add the vanilla, mix some more. Combine flour, salt and nuts; gently stir into sugar mixture by hand. Roll dough into 1-inch balls. Place on ungreased cookie sheets.

Bake 15 minutes until lightly browned. While hot, roll in remaining 1 1/2 cups sugar. Cool on wire rack, then roll again in additional powdered sugar to coat.

You can omit the nuts in half the cookies, if anyone in your family is allergic. I prefer pecans, but I'm pretty sure that my dad made them with walnuts.

Nutritional Information (amount per serving)
Calories 96; Carbohydrates 8g; Cholesterol 14mg; Fiber .3g; Sodium: 62mg; Fat7g; Protein 1g

Source: C & H Sugar

One of the nice things about these cookies is that you almost always have the ingredients on hand.

After feeding three kids on a budget, living with diabetes and blogging over 500 posts, I evaluate everything food. This is an awesome treat.