Monday, January 9, 2012

Pot Roast and Fruit Cocktail

Friday, I made a pot roast in my slow cooker that my son, Steven, presented me with on Christmas day. Earlier I made a traditional pot roast recipe, but this time, I tried my own recipe from the kids were little. I used to make something like this recipe in the oven, but it heated the house up so it didn't suit a hot summer day. It's winter chilly now, but I thought I try it out in my new slow cooker. Awesome!

I may not make any other kind of pot roast again. It is a taste treat for sure.

Pot Roast with Fruit Cocktail in Slow Cooker

Ingredients
4 to 5 lb chuck roast
2 tbl olive oil
1/3 cup beef stock
1 can Campbell's condensed cream of onion soup
1/2 can of no-sugar fruit cocktail
10 small baby carrots
4 Idaho potatoes, sliced in chucks
1 medium onion, chopped
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp garlic powder

Directions
Smear salt, pepper and garlic powder on both sides of meat. Heat olive oil in pan to sizzling hot and sear all sides of chuck roast, about 1-3 minutes per side.

Add beef stock to slow cooker and place meat on top of liquid.

Smear onion soup on top of meat and add the fruit cocktail.

Cover and cook on low setting for 7-8 hours.

Add the carrots, potatoes and onions to the slow cooker and position under the roast. Cover and cook on high for 1-2 hours.

Serves 8 (plenty for two full meals for me and my honey with plenty leftovers to make hash for a third meal and roast beef sandwiches, too.


Tip: Store leftover meat separate from the vegetables and juice.

Nutrition: Calories 233 per serving; Total fat, 9 g; Cholesterol 61 g; Sodium 231 g; Total carbohydrates 46 g. Dietary fiber 3 g; Sugar 5 g; Protein 22 g.

This is really a yummy recipe.

That's it for today, blog.