Sunday, April 21, 2024

Blessing Breakfast- Melt-in-Your-Mouth Chilaquiles

"Bless us, O Lord, and these thy gifts, which we are about to receive from thy bounty, through Christ our Lord. Amen."

This is a Mexican meal that could be made like a casserole to serve a crowd. My dad used to make Chilaquiles every Thanksgiving and Christmas.

When I'm making it, the good-food smell makes me feel like I am six years old standing next to my dad in the kitchen waiting to put a spoonful of this concoction in my mouth. 

(I always thought he made it up.) I've tried to make it so it tasted as if my dad made it. I made it for my kids when they were young, but I'm not sure they remember. It's been awhile [smile].

I have made many versions of Chilaquiles, and it is always a good and filling meal. I often drizzle a bit of Tabasco on the plate for a nice kick, but that's optional.

You could just put the Tabasco bottle on the table. I serve the Chilaquiles with a salad made of shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes and grated cheese.  For a citrus zing, I put cut up pieces of peeled fresh orange right on the plate.

This recipe makes a terrific meal. What I especially like about it is that I can make it in about 10 minutes, tops. Sooo gooood. Here's how to make my version of my dad's melt-in-your-mouth Chilaquiles for breakfast, brunch and dinner, too. This recipe tastes like what I remember.

Pop's Chilaquiles
Ingredients
1 tablespoon EVO or butter
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup red and green peppers, chopped
3 (6 inch) corn tortillas, torn into bite-size pieces
3 eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 teaspoons salt
1/3 cup Green Chili Verde Salsa
1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack or cheddar cheese

Directions
In a large, heavy skillet, heat the butter. Add cut up tortilla pieces and stir in the onion and peppers. Fry until tortilla strips are crisp and golden brown.

Gently crack the eggs into the pan and stir until eggs completely cooked as you would cook scrambled eggs. Season with salt and pepper

Mix Mexican style green chili salsa into the skillet. Reduce heat, and simmer until thickened, about 3 minutes. Top with cheese.

Serves: 2

Tip: I keep a bag of chopped onions and peppers in the freezer, so I can just grab a handful as I need it.

I mostly make just enough for me and my honey, but it's a good choice when serving a houseful. To add more substance for a brunch or dinner meal, I grill a rib-eye steak or a pork chop as a go with. My honey goes wild when I serve it with a big fat piece of meat.

I've also experimented by adding either bacon pieces, cooked sausage or minced pork chops made from leftovers into the egg-tortilla mixture, but this recipe really needs no meat.

Yes, this recipe has been handed down from my dad to me, and now it's yours to enjoy.

Try it. You'll get hooked.