Tuesday, December 26, 2023

When Is the Day After Not the Day After?

It's the day after Christmas. What's on your to-do list? Are you cleaning up?  Are you taking out the pile of paper plates and crumpled gift wrap?  Are you exhausted, driving, giving a report of your Christmas to someone on the phone -- or are you standing in the returns line?

I had the most incredible Christmas with the family. I love my children and their children so much. The smiling faces, the laughter, giggles, cheery talk. The food: the kids brought the food this year, the drinks, too.

I must say. I have the most amazing family. It was a glorious day filled with thoughtfulness and hugs and kisses. It was the perfect Christmas day.
That's saying a lot since I'm writing this on Christmas Eve Eve. You know. I have to write ahead. I'll be busy having so much fun (on the real day after), I won't have time to write a "real time" post. So forgive my sort of fortune telling.

Well, anyway, today, the real day that today is, has the frost on, that is for North Texas. Cold by Texas standards, but not icy or snowy or even refrigerator cold. Uncomfortable just the same, that is, unless you love cozy fire flames in the fireplace, a warm blankie, cup of hot chocolate (the kind made with real milk instead of instant powder mixed with water) and of course, fresh baked cookies wafting from the 375 degree hot oven. Yum!

I'm watching one of my favorite TV shows, waiting for my honey to return from the hunt, and listening to Bailey, that's my pupper, barking at the mail man. I've done the chores, put out more red and silver decorations and wrapped the almost last gift packages.

Actually, I am one of those people who love Christmas. I mean it is a magical day. The most important birthday celebration in my life. I love what Christmas means, and I honor the day in my heart and home.

It's true. I am absolutely, bonkers, over the top, blessed with Christmas music, happy decorations, ornaments on the tree, the nativity, stockings, wreath on the front door… and I love watching (and repeat watching) the classic, famous, even the "what the heck is this movie about" Santa movies. I love the romantic Christmas movies. You know, the ones where the impossible relationship turns into possible. Inspiring. Heartwarming. Sometimes even teary.

Well, now you know my secret. It's not really the day after Christmas. Well, if you're reading this blog, in fact, it is the day after Christmas. But the day I'm writing this is not the day after.

What this is really all about is this. I want everyone to be as happy as I am.  You see, I want to be happy.  I work at being happy. I put the sad and pathetic and sorry moments aside so quick a jackrabbit couldn't keep up.  Hurt feelings, gone. Angry feelings, washed away. Disappointments, smothered with thoughts of happy memories that so overshadow the dark in day, that, well, I'm only left with happy.

That's why it's so easy for me to be happy.  I only hope that your Christmas was a happy as mine. I wish you happy, every moment, every day, all the time, even this day after Christmas.

That's what's on my mind today here at Being Grand.