Sunday, May 6, 2012

Beef Bourguignon, the Diabetic Version, is on the Menu

My birthday is in a few days, and son Tim stopped by for a visit yesterday. What a joy he is. He brought his little one with him, and that made it all the more enjoyable. Of course, Bailey went wild. That dog gets so excited. He wants to play rough, but yelp he does if he gets one of his doggie paw toenails twisted. He did.

Anyway, it is always so nice to visit with one of the kids. He said he's coming over on my birthday, too... for coffee. This boy sure does love his coffee!
Yesterday was Cinco de Mayo, and plans for dinner went out the window. No real reason. Just got busy even for leftovers. My honey ended up bringing Taco Bell home. Well, fast food tacos are still a sort of May 5th Food Celebration.

Today, beef bourguignon is on the menu. I'm making a recipe from the diabetic cookbook. I chose it because the recipe has lean meat, healthy vegetables and lots of herbs. Another reason I decided to make beef bourguignon is that it's made with pork fat (bacon) and my honey loves bacon. We bought sirloin instead of beef chuck, because there's less fat, but also because it was not costly to upgrade. We bought it at Walmart and after shopping there a few months, the meat is as good or better than other higher priced stores (believe it). The savings is just too good to pass up. We are budget conscious food savers!

I love learning how to cook for my family, making good food choices, finding and creating yummy recipes, and sharing my eating healthy food tips. What are your food ideas and memories?