Sunday, September 18, 2011

What is a Brownie

I tested what is a brownie. Is a brownie only delicious, chocolatey, and easy to eat? Hello blog. What is a brownie if it isn't cakey, chewy, or fudge goodness. It is a cross between a chocolate cookie and a piece of chocolate cake. There are a variety of chocolate brownies.

When my children were small, I made a walnut cake brownie. My honey prefers a more fudgy taste delight served with whipped cream on top. Well, truth be told, he likes it both ways. Just a slice right out of the square glass pan I baked it in, or from the refrigerator lock-and-lock the yummy squares stay fresh in.

I had an interesting trial. I bought a standard brownie mix at the grocery store. I made it as per the directions on the package. Voila! Pretty terrific brownies.

But then, I made the ones I made when the kids were little tikes. I found out two interesting things:

First, it actually took less time. The ingredients were available on hand and easy to mix and bake.

Second, and this is really surprising, my old family recipe was so much better.

Less time, tastes better. Hmmm. Here's the recipe for my kids childhood easy-make chocolate brownies.

Fabulous Chewy Brownies

You need just a few ingredients.
3/4 C flour
2 C sugar
1/2 C butter
2 (one) oz, unsweetened chocolate squares
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 C chopped walnuts

First, I put the two sticks of real salted butter in a saucepan over low heat. I add the 2 unsweetened chocolate squares

Now, this is important. It has to be low heat, and it takes a few minutes to actually melt. If you are not careful, the chocolate burns (even though the butter does not). But what happens is you get a slight burnt taste. So check on that pan.

FYI: I find that microwave does not have the good results of melted butter and chocolate. You want a creamy consistency without burning either the butter or the chocolate. You have more control when the melting process is on the stove.

While, these ingredients are melting together, I put the flour in a cup and the sugar in my big measuring cup that holds 2 cups. I get out the eggs and set them on the counter to take the chill off. I get out the vanilla and my measuring spoons. I measure the walnuts and give them an extra chop chop to break up the big pieces even more.

Back on the stove, I remove the pan to my cutting board and add the sugar to the butter and chocolate mixture, and taste (careful, it's hot). Sometimes the chocolate is so pure, that the mixture needs more sugar. I add a tablespoon or two to taste if needed.

When I am satisfied with the taste, I add the remaining ingredients. Add the eggs slowly because they cook if you are not careful. You do not want cooked eggs in your brownies [smile]

Give the whole thing a quick stir, and pour into my 8x8" baking dish that I've lightly greased with canola oil.

I put into my preheated 350 degree oven for 30 minutes. Remove immediately as over baking causes a burn taste for the same reason as it does on the stove. Chocolate is just sensitive.

Let cool and cut into bite-size pieces. Serve some as is and some with a topping you like such as whipped cream or a caramel drizzle. Store the rest for another day of enjoyment.

After watching Food Network, I learned that adding coffee to a chocolate recipe make the chocolate taste richer. I tried it by adding a teaspoon of instant coffee to the flour, and KaZAMM! Awesome!

I then experimented with other additions and exchanges. Peanut butter was mouth-watering, because well, chocolate and peanut butter, Great! I then tried the recipe with 1 C of marshmallows, the little ones, ended up with sort of a rocky road result. I love rocky road ice cream, so this was great. I added chopped peppermint, and WOW! It looks pretty at Christmas, too. When I serve Mexican food, I add 1/2 tsp of cayenne pepper to the mix for a spike delight.

I guess there are more varieties of the traditional chocolate brownie than I thought. Next time, I find myself asking, what is a brownie, I'll know that it is anything you want it to be. But always yummy for your tummy.

That's it for today. Please post a comment and follow posts by email. Thanks.