Friday, April 20, 2012

Beans with Ham Hocks

OMG! I couldn't believe it when I saw Guy Fieri making this recipe of beans with ham hocks. It's exactly the same or at least really really similar to the beans my Dad used to make. I had completely forgotten about it.

My Dad made this incredible pot of beans that disappeared so quickly it became a laugh in our house. The smell wafted throughout the kitchen like giant waves of music calling you and your spoon. I remember well how I could barely wait until serving time.

It was such a smile for my nose. My mouth waters even now just thinking about back in the day. 

Beans with Ham Hocks

Ingredients:
6 cups water
2 cups dried red beans
2 ham hocks
3 tablespoons oil
2 white onions, diced
6 garlic cloves, diced
2 green bell peppers, diced
2 tablespoons ground cumin
2 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons dried oregano
2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons kosher salt

Directions:
In a large pot add water, beans and ham hocks. Boil for 45 minutes until tender.

In a medium saucepan add oil, onions, garlic, peppers, cumin, paprika, oregano, pepper and saute until translucent, do not brown.

When bean mixture has reduced by 1/2, add the onion saute mixture and the salt. Continue to reduce until water is level with bean mixture. Hold warm for service.

Yield: 6 to 8 servings

Recipe By: FoodNetwork.com


This one needs to go in the family cookbook of nostalgic recipes made by Pop. Pair it with the Super Nachos or Chili Verde soup de pork recipe.

Tip: Be sure to wrap the meat bones in a cloth so it's easy to remove when the beans are done absorbing all the flavor.

Thanks for following my blog.