Friday, April 27, 2012

Pork Chops with Jalapeno-Pecan Cornbread Stuffing Reminds Me of My Dad

Good golly. It's a meal with stuffing. I love stuffing at turkey time, but this recipe isn't turkey: It's anytime pork chops with jalapeno pecan cornbread stuffing. Pardon me while I break out in song [singing out loud].

I am always looking for a recipe to create with pork chops, because pork chops don't like me much. I seem to have trouble cooking the little buggers in a way that they don't turn into leather. Thankfully, this recipe ends with a smile. It is a spice treat with the snap of Jalapeno pepper. It reminds me of my childhood when my dad would taste and laugh with joy cooking in front of the stove. I can see him standing there with a big wooden spoon in his hand mixing and stirring a pot of pure delight.

What a warm and wonderful memory I have... thanks to food... and my dad's love for cooking the spicy versions of just about anything. Do you know what his favorite gift to give me was? It was food. Often a big chunk of meat. And my dad didn't need a holiday to bring gifts to my door. My heart cries with joy. I miss him. How I loved my dad. He would have loved this recipe.

Pork Chops with Jalapeno-Pecan Cornbread Stuffing

Ingredients:
6 boneless loin pork chops, 1 inch thick (1 1/2 pounds)
3/4 cup chopped onion
3/4 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans
1/4 cup chopped jalepeno or green chili
1 teaspoon rubbed sage
1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
4 cups unseasoned cornbread stuffing mix
1 1/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 egg, lightly beaten

Directions:
1. Trim excess fat from pork and discard. Spray large skillet with nonstick cooking spray; heat over medium heat. Add pork; cook 10 minutes or until browned on all sides. Remove; set aside. Add onion , celery, pecans, jalapeno pepper, sage, rosemary and black pepper to skillet. Cook 5 minutes or until tender; set aside.

2. Combine cornbread stuffing mix, vegetable mixture and broth in medium bowl. Stir in egg. Spoon stuffing mixture into slow cooker. Arrange pork on top. Cover and cook on Low about 5 hours or until pork is tender and barely pink in center. Serve with vegetable salad, if desired.

Serves: 6

Recipe By: sparkrecipes.com


Tip: My honey doesn't like squash so I make a creamed corn side dish for him.

Thanks for following my blog.