Saturday, May 25, 2024

Mom's Potato Salad Kids Love to Eat

Hola potato lovers. As the countdown to this year's Mother's Day tick tocks behind us, I think every mother reminisces about her children. I was remembering my three little ones when they were in elementary school. 

I pictured them sitting around the kitchen table, spoon in hand waiting to eat. The beanie weenies were ready to serve next to a big pile of Mom's potato salad that I homemade. I don't remember even being able to buy pre-made potato salad in those days, but that may just be me not remembering. Hmmm. Anyway.


The weather is warming up, and my honey got the BBQ ready to do a bit of grilling. Of course, this meant potato salad as a "go with." So, now that I have better cooking skills, I made my potato salad. The one I made maybe 30 years or so ago. Okay, a few more than that. [Gad!]

My honey took a big bite and his face broke out in an ear-to-ear grin. He actually exclaimed, "Good!" I dare say... my potato salad recipe is still the one to make.

Well, I had to really reach back in the past to remember how to make it the way my kids loved so much. I admit that I'm not sure these are the exact ingredients, but it tastes the way I remember. Here she is.

Mom's Own Potato Salad Recipe

Ingredients:
2 large Russet potatoes
1/4 cup sour cream
3/4 cup mayonnaise
1 teaspoon yellow mustard
1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
1 stalk chopped celery
1/4 cup chopped parsley
8 dill pickle chips, chopped small
Coarse salt
Freshly ground pepper
1 teaspoon pimento, slightly chopped
2 teaspoons sugar or sugar substitute

Directions:
Scrub the potatoes and put them whole into a large pot with cold, salted water (1 teaspoon salt). Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium. Cook uncovered until potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork, about 40 minutes. Drain, and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking. Cool so that they're not too hot to hold in your hand. Gently peel off the skin. Cube cooked potatoes into small pieces, about 1/4 inch in size.

In a large bowl, whisk together the sour cream, mayonnaise and mustard. Add salt and pepper to taste, the green onions, celery, parsley and pickles with a bit of the juice from the cut pickles. Sprinkle with sugar and mix well. Add the mixture to the cut-up potatoes and use a rubber spatula to gently mix. Add 1 teaspoon pimento. Mix a little  more. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight.

Garnish with a little parsley on top. Serve cold. 

Serves: 4 to 6

Note: You can also add slices of hard boiled egg to the top. I don't remember adding a hard boiled egg to my salad. I wanted to duplicate my recipe exactly as I remember making it. But... I think the yellow color of the egg along with the green color of parsley together as a top garnish would make a nice presentation if you made this for guests. Maybe a couple of shakes of paprika, too, for a splash of red color. Nice.

Thanks for following my blog. \