Saturday, February 17, 2024

Chicken Salad Sandwich

Good morning blog. It's time to get lunch done. Yup! Every morning, I make my honey's lunch.

One of my favorite lunchbox sandwiches is this really good chicken salad sandwich. It only takes minutes to put it together, although I do need to cook the chicken the day before. I do that especially for my honey's lunchbox or I just make extra pieces of chicken when making a chicken dinner. Either way works. I've done it both ways.
Chicken Salad Sandwich

Ingredients
2 slices whole wheat bread
1/2 chicken breast, pan cooked
Mayonnaise
6 red grapes, each sliced in half
1 tablespoon walnut pieces
1 tablespoon celery, chopped well
Some baby greens

I make the chicken the day before by simply searing it in a bit of olive oil over medium-high heat for about 2 minutes on each side. I add 1/4 cup of chicken stock to the pan, cover, and simmer for 12-15 minutes. It's done. Flaky and perfect.

I let it cool, cut it into small bite-size pieces, put in a Lock-and-Lock storage container, and refrigerate.

The next morning, I add the mayonnaise, grapes, walnuts, and celery. Gently stir so the mixture doesn't turn to mush.

I butter the bread with a thin layer of mayonnaise to cover to the sides. This sort of seals the filling inbetween the sandwich slices. Next, I spoon the chicken salad mixture over the top of one slice of the bread, place a few baby greens on top, cover with the other slice of bread. Voila! Yum to the Tum.

Tip: For a nice change, put this chicken salad sandwich on a croissant roll instead of whole wheat bread. Substitute the walnut pieces for sliced almonds. You've got an entirely new lunchbox sandwich following the same basic recipe.

I store a good supply of chicken breasts in the freezer, usually about 10 to 12, because chicken is healthy. But take care not to store more than you plan to eat in a month or less. It could go bad and that's not good. I also keep three kinds of nuts in the pantry at pretty much all times: Slivered almonds, walnut pieces and pecan halves. I sometimes have shelled pistachios, pine nuts and sun flower seeds, too.

Note: Cooking is just so much more fun... and easier... when you have the right items in your freezer and pantry. Nuts!

That's it for today, blog.