Monday, December 8, 2014

101 Ways to Say I Care


Have you ever been criticized for what you did or didn't do? Do people thank you for what you do?  Do you feel appreciated? Do the people you care about feel you appreciate them?

In our world of typed texts, e-mails and instant messages, the art of saying you care seems forgotten, glossed over, not mentioned, not reinforced, not as sincere as it could be.  Yet, nothing means more in life than knowing, believing, feeling inside, that someone cares about you, does it? 
For generations, the next best thing to hearing the words -- is reading a personal handwritten message.

Think how you'd feel... taking the mail out of your mail box, slipping open the envelope seal, pulling out and unfolding the paper inside. Take your time. Feel the paper on your finger tips when you find the handwritten note. Your eyes see who it's from. You read the first few words.  The corners of your mouth turn up.  It's a smile you don't forget.

We live in an age of "I" communicate. "I" chitter-chatter. "I" tweets. I facebook... Smart Phones, Computers, the Cloud, posting.  It's a fascinating and instant way of sharing, meeting, greeting, staying in touch, talking, telling and bloviating about "I" and what "I" care about. It's fast, so fast, it's addictive.

For some, it's entertaining, engaging, hypnotic.  It's something "I" do. Don't bother me.  I'm busy doing, I'm occupied, I have no time for you. 

In the "I" world, you're part of something -- but you're also not part of something else.

I'm an old fashioned girl, but I love technology and all the trinkets and gadgets.  I don't deny it.  But I also love it when my family tells me they care, they love me, they need me.  You know what I mean, don't you?  It's a deep-breathe feeling, isn't it? 

I'm guilty.  I sometimes forget that life is not about "I."  It's about "you."  Life is about making someone else feel good, feel special, feel appreciated.

That's what we did when the world was a nicer place.

Angry people are everywhere. Short fuses. No patience. Chopped off heads. Burning buildings. Shouting at neighbors. Pushing, shoving, me first. I can't wait. It's all about what "I" think, what "I" believe, what "I" want.  Never mind who I hurt; who I ignore; who cares.

In this crazy world, maybe it's a good thing to go back to what caring is really about.  Instead of criticizing, complaining, protesting, how would you feel if instead all you hear is the good, the merits, praise?

What kind of a response would you get if you sent a handwritten note thanking someone you genuinely care about for any little thing they did, or even for nothing, just being?  How would that person react.  How would you feel doing a little kindness for your loved one or your friend or neighbor?  How would you feel if someone sent you a handwritten note... for no particular reason.

Why wait for Christmas or birthdays or an anniversary? Why wait for the sick, injured or the death bed to let someone know you think they're pretty darn great?   The sincerity is sort of lost in a typed form, isn't it?

If you can find time to hand write a note, Wow! That's a gift that's remembered... for a long time.

If you're out of practice, buy some postage stamps, a fountain pen and a guide like 101 Ways to....  Let your heart guide your fingers.

Be a giver. Give the gift of kindness.  Make someone feel good.  Give praise.  It may be old fashioned, but maybe we all need a little more old fashioned to remind us how fortunate we are.  Maybe America could use more nice.  More "you."  More together, united, one for all and all for one.  Send someone you know a handwritten note today.

That's what's on my mind today.