Tuesday, February 6, 2024

Good Idea: Do You Have Cold Feet?

Do you have cold feet? Several days last month already, temperatures dropped. My feet were cold for the first time since the beginning of the hot summer. I actually had to rummage through my closet to find my slippers and shake off the dust.

I pay a lot of attention to my feet because I have diabetes. Part of my feet have lost feeling. Definitely not fun. My fur lined slippers soothe my feet. I wear sock a lot, too. But a good pair of slippers is important for more reasons than comfort.
Did you know that your feet are connected with your brain? Blood flows like a railroad track from your brain through your heart to your feet. Do you have...

There is little fat in your feet. This means that if your feet are not kept warm, it's easy for your capillaries to clog, which weakens the blood flow returning to the heart. That leads to poor blood circulation.

Picture your brain up here... and your feet are down there. In the middle is your heart. When the train chugs along from your brain to the feet, you do not want your train to slow the flow of blood to your heart when it passes through your feet.

According to medical professionals, if your feet get too cold, your heart and other internal organs can be influenced. Cold feet also causes edema, itching, pain and other symptoms, too. Yikes! Not good.

In addition, if the feet are not kept warm, the capillaries in the nasal cavity and trachea crunches, which reduces your resistance. In other words, it's easier for viruses to get into your body and cause you to suffer from cold, as well as some nasty illnesses. Who wants to be sick? Not me.

Tips to keep your feet warm: 1) Wash your feet with a warm wash cloth before you go to bed; 2) wear shoes or padded slippers all the time when your feet touch the floor; 3) regularly massage your feet to accelerate the blood circulation; 4) change your shoes or slippers twice a day to keep your feet ventilated; and 5) don't rely on the heat inside the house alone. Wear warm clothing. I've got my slippers on. Do you have cold feet?